Technical Writing – Instructional Materials Specialist
(hardware, software, government and corporate)
Results driven writer with a focus on instructional methods/materials and collaboration with Corporate/Technical Trainers and SMEs. Provides extensive successful experience with research, planning, collaboration (with SMEs, Trainers, other writers, learners), development, design, writing, proofing, editing and revising technical and instructional documentation and multimedia materials. Emphasizes accuracy, validity, readability, usability, effectiveness, and efficiency to meet corporate, administrator, user, trainer, and student objectives.
Proven areas of expertise include:
- Curriculum Development
- Practical Objective and Measurement Analysis
- Learner/Audience Analysis and Application
- Adult Education Principles
- Learning Styles Application
- Training/Instructional Methods Application
- Multimedia Development and Integration
- 508 Compliance
- Distance Education
- Instructor Led Training (ILT)
- Computer Based Training (CBT)
- Web Based Training (WBT)
- Print and Digital Training Manuals
- Corporate Branding
- Layout and Design Principles
- Consistency Development and Adherence in Styles/Style Guides
- Policies and Procedures Documentation
- Internal and External Documentation
- Documentation Control
- Complete writing process/lifecycle
- Writing/Technical Writing/Teaching/Training/Support
Writer / Technical Writer
Independent Contractor – Other, United States – Jun 2007 – Present
Contract technical writing services provided to customers such as Amerex Defence/Amerex Corportation, Blue-Bird Corporation, NABI (North American Bus Industries), Apex Systems, BBVA Compass Bank, and miscellaneous corporate, manufacturing and publishing entities.
Web development and implementation services to small businesses
Writing, Editing, Formatting, etc. for various online publications, small businesses, and indie authors.
- Technical Writer, Graphics & Social Media Developer (and co-owner) Cheaha Brewing Company
- Writer/Publisher, Cottaquilla Press
- Daniel Hall’s Real Fast Results
- Subcontracted Work for Author Options
- Good E-Reader
- Web Hosting Database
- Apex Systems, Inc. / BBVA Compass Bank, Risk Data Management
- Blue-Bird Corporation
- NABI (North American Bus Industries)
- Amerex Defense/Amerex Corporation
- Sherry Snider, Technical Writer – http://www.SherrySnider.com
- Section 508 Compliant PDFs – http://www.Section508CompliantPDFs.com
Writer / Curriculum Developer
SAIC / Center for Domestic Preparedness Location – Anniston, AL, United States – Aug 2009 – Apr 2011
Writing, proofing, researching, editing, and revising training manuals and instructional materials for emergency responders to CBRNE (Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, or Explosive) incidents in the Curriculum Department for the CDP (Center for Domestic Preparedness)/Homeland Security.
Primary projects – Healthcare course materials for resident training at the Noble Training Facility and non-resident training delivered at multiple locations
Secondary projects – Law Enforcement, HAZMAT, CBRNE, and other WMD-related course materials
Technical Writer / Trainer
IBML – Birmingham, AL, United States – Aug 2002 – Jun 2007
IBML (Imaging Business Machines, LLC); Birmingham, Alabama; Corporate technical writing and training provided for IBML internal and external customers on company products and services, hardware and software in technical, instructional, and multimedia formats.
IBML – http://www.ibml.com/
Help Desk Analyst / Technical Support
United Healthcare – AL, United States – Apr 2002 – Aug 2002
Southeast region technical support for AL, GA, FL, NC, TN, AR, MS, LA, TX, and miscellaneous telecommuters throughout the US. Troubleshooting and instruction provided to users for all hardware, software, legacy AS400 applications, network connectivity (DUN, VPN, LAN, & WAN), and IT related data.
Deskside Support Technician
Honeywell – Anniston, AL, United States – Oct 1999 – Apr 2002
Hardware/software installation, troubleshooting, and repair, PC moves, adds, and changes. As a local site IT contact/coordinator, local IT management requirements include junior network management and administration, help desk management, local systems design and implementation, network connectivity configuration and troubleshooting, research and analysis, server and desktop virus protection, digitization techniques, methods, and storage, disaster recovery planning assistance, networked training systems and lab development/implementation, assistance and training provided to users as needed.
Honeywell, Anniston Aerospace R&O – http://www.honeywell.com/sites/aero/Maintenance_Repair_Overhaul.htm
Thomaston-Upson Schools – GA, United States -Aug 1999 – Oct 1999
Black Creek Integrated Systems – Moody, AL, United States – Oct 1998 – Jul 1999
Black Creek Integrated Systems Corp.; Moody, Alabama; Primary duties of position consisted of writing, editing, design, layout, and publication of software documentation (print and electronic). Additional duties included data graphic design and manipulation, beta testing, plc program testing, CAD assistance, and application support.
Calhoun County Board of Education – AL, United States – Aug 1997 – Aug 1998
Gadsden State Community College – AL, United States – Dec 1995 – Nov 1997
Adjunct English Instructor – Temporary Instructor/Language and Fine Arts Coordinator
Adjunct English Instructor
Jacksonville State University – AL, United States – Aug 1995 – Jun 1997
Center Manager / Certified Instructor
McDaniel’s TaeKwonDo Plus – Jacksonville, AL, United States – Feb 1994 – Jul 1996
ECE (English Competency Exam) Remediator and Tutor
Jacksonville State University – Jacksonville, AL, United States – 1994 – 1995
For the JSU Center for Individualized Instruction, provided remediation services to students in preparation for the English Competency Exam; Offered tutorial services to students who need assistance in university English classes.
Other Work Experience during college studies – United States – 1990 – 1994
- Spring 1994 Substitute Teacher for the Walker County Board of Education, LaFayette, Georgia.
- Spring 1994 Research Assistant, Dr. Joanne Gates, English Dept, Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, Alabama; Converted text to data; Researched various systems; Rendered skills in computer applications, typing, and communications.
- 1992 – 1993 Bookseller, Waldenbooks, Chattanooga, Tennessee; Performed various duties on a priority basis. Covered daily sales receipts, register sales, customer service, telephone customer service, computer accessing and processing, shipping and receiving, stock count, stock pulls, vacuum cleaner repair, and general maintenance of the store.
- Spring 1992 Computer Lab/Teaching Assistant for CAI English Composition courses (EH 102), Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, Alabama; Taught and assisted students in the use of Wordperfect 5.1, grammar, spelling, composition, form, research, and simple mainframe operations.
- Spring 1991 Journalism Intern, WDEF-TV Channel 12, Chattanooga, Tennessee; Responsible for taping, editing, writing, processing information on the scene and over the telephone, office communication, news gathering, and production.
- 1990 – 1991 Clerical Aide in the Office of Admissions and Records, Dalton College, Dalton, Georgia; Processed applicant data; Sorted and filed student registration information; Assisted with microfilm records; Processed written and telephone inquiries; processing incoming/outgoing mail.
- MA, English
Jacksonville State University – Jacksonville, AL, United States 1994 – 1995
- BSEd, Secondary Education, Language Arts
Jacksonville State University – Jacksonville, AL, United States 1989 – 1993 Summa Cum Laude
Professional Development, Awards, Certifications, and Associations
Alabama Educator: Rank 2 – (State of Alabama) – Alabama Educator: Rank 2, Secondary Education, Language Arts, 1994 – 2002
Georgia Educator: Master’s Certification – (State of Georgia) – Georgia Educator: Master’s Certification in English/Secondary Language Arts
Miscellaneous – Certifications (Microsoft, CompTIA, etc.) – Information Technology MCP, A+, Dell, IBM, Compaq, HP, misc. safety certs, American Heart Association Heartsaver AED/CPR
Niche Mastermind Group member – mastermind group of niche site coaching graduates who meet online to share, brainstorm, and support each other in site development
ASTD Conference Attendee – ASTD (American Society for Training and Development) Training Conference 2004 and 2005 attendee
WCC member – WCC (Writers of Calhoun County)
Spot Award for Excellence – 508 Compliance – (SAIC – Science Applications International Corporation) – In recognition and gratitude to Sherry Snider December 1, 2010 for excellence in performance with a major contribution to the success of the Development Department; for developing a job aid for 508 enhancement by creating a process that significantly reduces the amount of time for implanting 508 compliance requirements into CDP courses; for reflecting well on the Development Department and SAIC at the Center for Domestic Preparedness
Spot Award for Excellence – (SAIC – Science Applications International Corporation) – Presented in recognition and gratitude to Sherry Snider September 17, 2009 for her participation and significant contribution to a core mission of the CDP contract in a very selfless and professional manner to complete an initiative of national importance
Adobe Webinar Series for DHS – (Emergent, LLC) – Attended a series of Adobe Connect webinars provided for Department of Homeland Security and associates by Emergent, LLC in 2010. Topics included:
- Adobe LiveCycle, Secure Data Capture
- Adobe LiveCycle, Digital Rights Management
- Adobe Connect Pro, Web Collaboration and eLearning
- Adobe Acrobat Pro, Redaction and Document Sanitization
- Adobe Photoshop CS5
- Adobe Connect, Bringing the Classroom Online
Bi-Weekly H1N1 Teleconferences – (DHS/IGP) – Attended Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Office of Intergovernmental Programs (IGP) bi-weekly H1N1 update teleconferences during the Fall of 2009 to document and apply current data to pandemic influenza training offered by FEMA’s Center for Domestic Preparedness
Emergency Medical Conference Attendee – (Integrated Medical, Public Health, Preparedness and Response Training Summit) – Attended the 2010 Integrated Medical, Public Health, Preparedness and Response Training Summit with SAIC/CDP healthcare SMEs/Trainers to learn, gather, and apply current best practices, data, and case studies to FEMA/CDP healthcare courses
Bioterrorism Mass Prophylaxis training – (TEEX – Texas Engineering Extension Service) – Attended the TEEX Bioterrorism Mass Prophylaxis course to analyze material applicability to current FEMA/CDP healthcare courses, specifically, pandemic planning and preparedness. MGT319 – Bioterrorism: Mass Prophylaxis Preparedness & Planning – 16.00 Hours