Why Disable Java?
From Regina Smola of http://www.wpsecuritylock.com/
“URGENT! Yes you! Homeland Security even says so – Disable Java on all your machines (yes, even Mac’s). Hundreds of millions of business and consumer users are vulnerable to a serious flaw. I’m just driving this home again in case you missed it http://www.zdnet.com/homeland-security-warns-to-disable-java-amid-zero-day-flaw-7000009713/ Please Please do it.”
Ok. I trust Regina Smola. …dunno about Homeland Security, but I know Smola keeps my virtual hind end out of the fire all the time, so I read the article, Homeland Security warns to disable Java amid zero-day flaw.
I even read the “Read more” link on how to disable the plug-in. Use these links to follow along with screenshots and instructions for older versions of Windows, Macs, and within browsers to disable Java.
For Windows 8 users, you’ll need to tweak a bit, so I thought I’d save you the trouble and list the instructions here/below.
To Disable Java from Running in the Browser on a Windows 8 PC
1. Locate the Control Panel through one of the following.
- Hover on the side of the screen to open the Charms menu and select Settings.
- Press the Windows Start button on the keyboard + C to open the Charms menu and select Settings.
- Right-click the bottom left corner of the screen (where the Start button should be).
2. Select Control Panel.
3. Click Programs.
4. Click Java (32-bit).
5. Under the Security tab, Uncheck Enable Java content in the browser, then click the Apply button.
6. Reboot your PC to make sure the settings stick.
Once the hacked hole in Java is repaired (probably in an upgrade), you can always go back to the Control Panel and Enable Java again.
For iPhone, iPad, and Smartphone Users